Sunday, August 7, 2011

Soup

My mother has semi-retired from her job as a housewife.

When I was a kid, we had a plethora of banchan (side dishes), but after college, the number of banchan on our table shrunk.

Now, my mom usually makes one big pot of soup or stew and we just eat that for the entire week.

It makes me sad because my mom's cooking is SUPER BOMB. I never knew how good it was until I left for college and tasted what other people made. My cousin recently came from Korea and told me how lucky I was because I grew up with such good cooking. You never know what you have until it's gone. My mom is not utilizing her gift to the fullest.

She's so lucky my dad is super nice, understanding, and doesn't complain. He wakes up, makes his own breakfast, goes to work and orders and sandwich, and comes home and eats some soup and kimchi which he sometimes heats up himself.

Surprisingly my mom went on a soup making rampage and cooked 3 different kinds of soups this week. This made me and my dad VERY worried.

Dad: I get scared when you cook this much. Are you leaving us and going somewhere far away??
Mom: No!
Me: Mom...don't cook three soups a week. It makes me and dad feel 불안해 (uneasy).
Mom: HAHAHAHA.
Me: You're really not going out of the country???
Mom: No!!
Me: Give me your passport.

No comments: