Sunday, August 7, 2011

Possible New Friends

I went to Grace Chapel (a church 20 minutes from my house) for the first time EVER today and it was a very new experience.

I've gone to Asian churches for most of my life, so it's interesting knowing that I'm going to commit to a multi-cultural home church within the next 2 months or so.

I like white people. Whenever I speak to them, I get the feeling that they're going to invite me over to their place, bake me a dozen chocolate chip cookies, and give me a slice of warm apple pie a la mode. It's comforting...like Paula Dean's home cooking kind of comforting.

As I was getting ready to leave after service, a couple sitting behind me, Peggy and Alan, tapped my shoulder and started a conversation.

Peggy: Hi Grace, do you happen to know Jennifer Huang?
Me: Jennifer Huang? No, I don't know who she is.
Peggy: When I saw you, I was so happy! I thought "Another Asian person!!!" She was the only Asian person who visited our church and when I saw you I thought you could be friends! She doesn't speak English very well. What nationality are you?
Me: I'm Korean.
Peggy: Oh! Jennifer is Chinese and she's in her 40s. Do you know any other languages?
Me: No.
Peggy: Your English is amazing!
Me: Oh thank you. I grew up in the Valley (what we call the desert - short for the Coachella Valley).
Peggy: It sure sounds like it!

Peggy and Alan are a couple that I presume are in their 60s and are SUPER sweet. Peggy even gave me a big hug when we parted!

I bet everyone in Palm Desert thinks my English is amazing. It feels good being complimented for something that's just innate.

I spoke with the pastor afterwards and told him that I found the church through the 9 Marks website. He said that was reassuring and was glad he posted the church information on that search tool for people who want to find a church that feeds them the Word. His statement was comforting because it makes me think that this man really wants to teach the Word and holds the Bible in the highest regard.

In other news, my car battery died at the church and I was the last person to leave so they put me in charge of locking up the gate in front of the parking lot. I can't believe the dude trusted me with that responsibility.

It wouldn't lock at first so my dad, who came to help me with my car battery (he's such a stud) told me to just leave it. What a delinquent.

I said "NO WAY JOSE" and figured it out.

Dad = menace to society
Grace = good citizen

And now, from church to K-pop...

Mom: Grace! Who's the most popular So nyuh shi dae (소녀시대 aka Girl's Generation) member?
Me: Yoona (윤아).
Dad: Not Sohee (소희)?
Mom: Honey, that's Wondergirls!

That conversation above was pretty ridiculous. More outlandish than the conversation I had with Peggy. I think I'm assimilating into Palm Desert pretty nicely.

No comments: