Sunday, June 30, 2013

Honesty

I'm going to be honest here. Church has been one of the hardest things for me since marrying Ji. Coming into the relationship, it was just fact that I would be attending Lighthouse. Many people know about my struggle, and I sometimes don't want to share because I continuously struggle with this issue. Basically, I don't want to be the girl that's pitied because she's having such a hard time, but what can I do--it's just a genuine struggle of mine. I guess you can say that I feel like I don't "fit" at LBCSJ. This has been a struggle for quite some time, but I can honestly say that I see God's grace in slowly changing me.

Stage 1: The Busy Stage
From September 2011 to January 2012, I came on and off to visit Lighthouse, since I didn't have a job. I was living in Palm Desert at the time and was excited about the potential of moving up (since it was difficult to find fellowship in Palm Desert). I ended up consistently coming since January of 2012 and was just busy with wedding planning, adjusting to marriage, etc. until summer hit.

Stage 2: The Crying Stage
I'm sure a lot of things happened between September of 2011 through the summer of 2012, because I dreaded going to Lighthouse. There was just this road block and often times I felt judged, not accepted, and everything else you can imagine under the sun. There were nights when I would just cry in Ji's arms telling him how much I didn't want to go. My favorite part of church was leaving.

Stage 3: The Church Plant Stage
A part of me may have not put in much effort because I knew I was going to be a part of the LBCEB church plant. When we decided to go back to LBCSJ I was seriously on the verge of tears again. I never wanted to go back to LBCSJ--that wasn't a part of my plan. In my perfect world, I'd go back to LA, go to IBC and be with the church body that I loved. I didn't love LBCSJ.

Stage 4: The Present
When I came back, I was humbled that many people welcomed us back and were glad to have us. Church is still one of the hardest things for me, but I see God slowly changing me. I can't say that I feel so comfortable at LBCSJ and that it's the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. Remember, this isn't a Disney movie. This is a real life story about a sinful girl who's struggling to love her church, but learning some lessons along the way such as:

  • I'm a hypocrite: For a lot of the time, I struggled with feeling like people judged me and didn't accept me for who I was. Yet, I did the same exact thing. How can I expect people to accept me for being who I am when I don't do the same thing? 
  • I lack a lot of love: These are the people I'm going to spend eternity in heaven with and Christ died for His church. If this is true, why don't I want to be with these people? In that vein...
  • I'm selfish: I want to be accepted, but I don't want to take the time to accept people. 
  • I'm superficial: I love it when I can just connect with someone's personality. Yet, I have a hard time connecting with those who don't fit that mold, even though we have a deeper connection through Christ. 
The list goes on and on. Recent events have happened, and I would be lying if I didn't think that this was the perfect time to leave for another church where I didn't have to struggle so much and where I'd "fit" better. Yet, I'm slowly learning that church is not about me and where I feel the most comfortable. Sure it would be nice if I felt a bit more free to be who I am and be around people who "get" me, but once again, church is not about me. 

Life is not about me. I need to be right with God, reflect on the Gospel each day, and cry out for Him to change my heart to love my church wholeheartedly. 

So the conclusion: LBCSJ is hard and I will continue to struggle, but God is sovereign, merciful, and good. 

No comments: