Saturday, June 27, 2009

I Suck

More and more I'm convinced that one or all of the following are true.

1. I suck.

2. Sucky things happen to me.

3. Sucky things that happen to everyone else happen to me more and are magnified 100x.

Now I don't need responses like...

"Awwww, no, you don't suck grace"

or

"What's wrong with you. You have no self esteem. You need to call a 1-800-confidence hotline"

because

#1. I am not sad that 1,2, and/or 3 happen to me. It is a fact of life. Suckiness is my destiny.

#2. I think the 1-800-confidence hotline will hang up on me because I am so pathetic.

I'm thinking of making a chronicle kinda like the Chronicles of Narnia but instead of chronicling the adventures of 4 children, this will chronicle my meetings with suckiness.

Suckiness for today...two times sucky.

Jessica and I went to get our bridesmaid dresses altered for Angela's wedding. I was trying to pin Jessica's dress so that the cleaners people could see how much they need to alter.

I had the hardest time pinning it the correct way. Who knew that I had to pin it a certain way for them to see how much they need to take off? Jessica gave me 3 tutorials and I failed 3 times. It took 5 minutes for me to pin it INCORRECTLY. I still don't know how to pin it.

Then we had the following conversation with the guy at the cleaners...

Guy: What grade are you guys in?

Jess: We graduated college. Its already been two years.

Guy: :O

It's like that time I went to the Korean clothing store with my mom where the lady with the big perm, green eyeshadow and red lipstick tries to sell Korean women weird clothes from Korea with fake gucci and dior signs and convinces them that it looks great and that all the Korean ajumas are wearing it these days.

Korean clothing store lady with the perm, green eye shadow and red lipstick: What grade are you in?

Mom: She graduated college.

Korean clothing store lady with the perm, green eye shadow and red lipstick: Omo Omo!!!!! I'm so sorry! I thought you were in middle school.

Me: >:O

Mom: I'll buy 2 shirts.

Or the time I was a counselor at a church retreat and I led a group of middle school girls.

Leader: Now, we want group A and group B for the middle school girls to group up and share what they learned.

Me: Hey girls, let's all get in a circle. How about I share first and then we can all go around popcorn style? (This is when I started seeing the other group leader - a middle aged Korean woman stare at me like I'm weird).

Afterwards...

The other group leader: I'm so sorry I stared at you weird. I thought you were one of the middle school girls and it was weird that you were leading the discussion.

Me: >:O

At my cousin's wedding...

Me: Red wine please.

Server: Uh, are you underage?

Me: NO! I'M 24!!!!!

Now don't give me the "It's good to look young" thing. Yeah, maybe it will be good when I'm 50 and I start longing for my youthful skin and start buy hundred of dollars in make up products to cover up all my wrinkles.

Sometimes I feel like people stare at me thinking "What are you doing here without your mom or dad? Why are you buying groceries without your parents?"

SUCKINESS.

2 comments:

James Hong said...

It just got me thinking, I have moments like that too. It's just the opposite. For instance, when I once told someone at church my age, he started laughing hysterically. He thought I was 35 and that I was joking around. We entered a volleyball tournament for ages 35 and over, but they never once asked me if I met the age requirement. It's bad when I meet other youth pastors and they start calling me MSN and start bowing to me when they themselves are around 28-30 years of age (some even older). You know it's really bad when you work at CCS and when you meet one of the parents, the parent asks, "So, do your kids (notice the plural) go to this school too?" Now, this was a year ago when I was fresh out of college. Cheer you up a bit? Stay strong and God bless!

Kevin Li said...

grace son! haha i totally kno how you feel!!! sometimes... i feel like no one takes me seriously... =X